Friday 22 June 2012

Goodnight Sweetheart, Goodnight



I have just spent the last couple of weeks watching this gem of a tv program! I was first introduced to Goodnight Sweetheart when I was younger but I was only 2 when it came out and it ended when I was 7 so I was a bit too young to watch it then. However, I started catching it on ITV3 in the mornings and I instantly got addicted!! I absolutely love anything from the 30s & 40s. I love the style, the attitude and just the general 'we're in this togetherness'.

The show is based on Gary Sparrow (played by Nicholas Lyndhurst). One day Gary is casually walking down an alleyway and he somehow finds himself in 1939(?). He thinks he is dreaming at first but fortunately for us, he isn't! He returns back to the 90s to his wife Yvonne (played by Michelle Holmes) and his best friend Ron (Victor McGuire). He decides to keep going back to the war time, where he meets a young girl, Phoebe (Played by Dervla Kirwan) who he falls in love with. The whole series continues with Gary living two lives in two different times.

The show is split from series 1-3 and 4-6 when the two main female characters left and got replaced.

Season 1-3

L-R; Ron (Victor McGuire), Yvonne (Michelle Holmes), Gary (Nicholas Lyndhurst, Reg (Christopher Ettridge) and Phoebe (Dervla Kirwan)

Season 4-6

L-R; Reg, Yvonne (Emma Amos), Gary, Phoebe (Elizabeth Carling) and Ron

It was a bit hard to get used to the new characters at the start of series 4, just because we were all so used to the previous actresses.
Personally I prefered Michelle Holmes as Yvonne. I felt that when she left Yvonne's character completely changed. Michelle could be bitchy but you still loved her. Whereas when Emma was being mean, I started to dislike her.
I liked both Phoebes but I think Elizabeth Carling has a slight edge on it. For some reason I liked her more.

To be honest, there isn't really a character that I did dislike in this tv show. Everybody had funny lines and there was always a time when you felt sorry for the character.

I won't spoil the rest of the plot but this is definitely a tv show that I would recommend. It's a great watch!

10/10




No comments:

Post a Comment